Monday, March 12, 2007

Why are fourth graders so tech-savvy?

Inspiration for today's post: http://www.education-world.com/a_tech/tech/tech217.shtml

I've finally started my journey into the world of blogging and I couldn't be more excited. I'm a natural journal writer, but somehow have excluded myself from this high-tech world, until now. So, let's get this party started, shall we?

Before I talk about the above link, I wanted to discuss the fact that at 25, I'm beginning to feel technologically "old." How is this is possible when I am working toward a Masters degree in Educational Technology and know far more about the latest software and uses than some of my colleagues? Read on...Today, when discussing a fourth-grade poetry book project with one of my classes, I was asked why we're not using computers to help create final drafts, use clip-art, and share our poems. Ouch!! To say that I was embarrassed is an understatement. While I explained to the students the fact that there is such limited computer access in some of the classrooms and each class has a varying level of expertise, I did applaud the students for being "with the times" and for wanting to share their work with others beyond the realm of the classroom. I guess I was just amazed that some nine-year-olds were more intrinsically aware of the possibilities of technology-assisted instruction than I was. Now I'm on a mission to show these kids that I too am "with it" and can utilize technology to improve their writing skills.

Now on to the above-mentioned link and inspiration for today's entry. I visit the Education World website often, but have never come across technology tied to writing. A simple Google search for elementary education and technology in writing brought up a link to a very interesting article about the possibilities of blogs in the classroom. How perfect, considering I'm a newbie to this world!

I really reacted to the following quote: "Although blogging in schools is still in its infancy, anecdotal evidence suggests that students' interest in, and quantity of, writing increases when their work is published online and -- perhaps even more importantly -- when it is subject to reader comments." Hmm....has anyone ever tried this with their class before? I am very much interested in using the blog in a similar manner as Mr. Villasana, who assigns each student to be a reporter for the day and report on the latest news. It is definitely right up my ally due to the connection with broadcasting and journalism, but I think students would feel so professional and take things seriously knowing their work was subject to the scrutiny of others.

I was also impressed with the security and classroom-friendly elements of KidzLog. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but it seems like a great place to start.

My biggest concern with blogging in elementary school is that it introduces kids to a whole new domain where there could be trouble if they are not safe. Of course things would be monitored closely at school, but what if a child really gets into the idea and wants to start his or her own blog at home. Am I overreacting, or is this a legitimate fear? I've heard several news stories about the lack of parental supervision when kids are online.


In any case, a blog about the local, national, and world news seems like a great place to start and it would be the first of its kind at my school. Something to think about for next year when I will likely have my own classroom again!

3 comments:

Mr. Wells said...

Hi Laine. I'm happy to be working with someone with a similar area of focus. I hope to root out some literature as we work through the next seven weeks together. I have one question: Where did you get the quote you referenced in your introduction? Was this found in a scholarly journal or some other publication you happened across? I'd be interested in reading the entire source (unless, of course, this isn't possible). Type to you later!

Laine said...

Hi Richard. The quote that I referenced came from the same site that I based the entry on. The link is provided at the top of my post. It's an interesting article and a quick read. Hope that helps.

Crystal Crozier said...

Hi, Laine!

I totally understand your fear for your students safety. The internet while a plethora of information also opens doors for a variety of trouble.

At the beginning of this year, I sent home a letter to my parents/guardians pertaining to internet safety. Each parent had to sign and return the form, and amazingly they all did. I obtained information for my letter from the following sites if you would like to check them out:
http://www.fbi.gov/publications/pguide/pguidee.htm
http://www.safekids.com/

I noticed the safekids site has a "blogging for teens" section. I know your students aren't quite teens, but maybe you could modify it.

If my students do not have access to the internet at home, they may go to the public library. I have talked to the librarian, and she assures me that she monitors the students very carefully. Of course, I live in a small town, so I can do this. If you live in a larger town with more than one library, that might not be feasible.

Of course, I know none of this is a 100% guarantee, but every little bit of information you can give parents/students about internet safety is more than they may have had before.

Hope that helps.