Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Blogs in the classroom, continued...

Inspiration for this post: http://www.techlearning.com/db_area/archives/TL/2003/02/blogs.php

Is there a place for blogs in the elementary classroom? I came across the site mentioned above and enjoyed the perspectives shared by Kristen Kennedy. She mentions how one literature classroom used the blog format to respond to their reading of The Secret Life of Bees. The teacher made the blog interactive by holding a virtual session with the author, Sue Monk Kidd. I've read this book and adored it, so I'm a bit jealous of their opportunity! What a great moment for these kids. Knowing that their posts would eventually be read, even perhaps by the author, seems to give them a real purpose. Not only that, but it holds them accountable for the words that they put on paper (or web, in this case)!

The thought of collaboration within a blog also interested me. Reading about the partnership between Middlebury College and a 5th grade classroom was inspiring. I thought about perhaps having my students (next year) do a journalism/reporting theme and partnering with a college journalism class.

If you read the article, be sure to stick with it until the end. The last section about assessment is very helpful. There are some suggestions that would make life a lot easier for the teacher.

Now that I have some ideas about blogs in the classroom, I am going to try to find some examples of student blogs that I can refer to. Any recommendations?

2 comments:

Crystal Crozier said...

Hi, Laine!

I really found the idea of having students to blog to an author fascinating. I too love The Secret Life of Bees, and I would have several things to mention to the author. How exciting that students were able to do this!

In a quest to find student blogs, I stumbled across Bob Sprankle at apple.com. Apparently, several years ago, he let his students keep personal blogs. Many displayed artwork or wrote poetry. Here is the link for that: http://bobsprankle.com/blog/. He is no longer in the classroom, but provides a link to catch up with the students who kept these blogs (Although, I couldn't find them. :))

Enjoy.

Mr. Wells said...

I found what seems to be a wonderful example of a student-produced blog. Students rotate daily responsibility for posting onto the blog. It serves as a sort of daily reflection piece. This could certainly be one of a number of ways to introduce and use blogs in the classroom. Here
s the link: http://www.mpsomaha.org/willow/sanborn/blog/

Getting in touch with those people who, in the past, were apparently viewed as distant progenitors of the literature students read is a wonderful opportunity provided by the internet. Authors can now communicate at their leisure with their audience. Surely publishing houses understand that this strategy can only help to build a strong, young consumer base, so this is a win-win possibility for all involved. Great article, Laine!