Friday, March 16, 2007

Inspiration for this post: http://web.ebscohost.com.lp.hscl.ufl.edu/ehost/detail?vid=1&hid=113&sid=26b7d492-515b-42b7-8b1d-2e4adef285a3%40sessionmgr103
'Blogs' Catching on as Tool for Instruction. (2005)

This will be my final post related to blogs in the classroom. Next week I'll move on to another area of technology.

The article above discusses the impact of blogs in the classroom. It actually references some of the same teachers/school as my last post, including the school in New Jersey that used the blog to converse with the author of The Secret Life of Bees. Borja also writes extensively about teacher Matthew J. Clausen, who uses blogs in his 10th-12th grade classrooms. Clausen uses blogs primarily as a place for his students to feel like they are heard. He teaches at an alternative school and says the blog assignments make students feel like they are "noticed."

What interested me most was his use of the blog as a place for reflection. The purpose of the blog was not solely to improve writing skills, but to have a place where students can periodically reflect on their assignments. Senior Caitlin Nunberg said "Blogging allows everyone in the class to share their opinion, not just the loudest or most outspoken student," (Borja, ¶ 15). Some of my most talented writers are often shy and don't like to take center stage. A blog would give them a space to express thoughts and showcase talent without feeling that pressure of a face-to-face audience. At the same time, I'm not sure a 'reflection blog' would suite fourth-graders as well as it does high-school students.


Borja also helps ease my security concerns by giving options for teachers that ensure safety for children. The primary suggestion is to eliminate last names and not allow students to post pictures of themselves. Borja also recommends some basic blog sights to get you started.

At this point, I have seen some examples of blogs in action, and I feel fairly confident that I'll be ready to attempt a class blog next school year!

2 comments:

Ann V. said...

Laine-

I came across this blog related to "Bees" and perhaps it was mentioned in one of the articles and I missed it, but thought I would tag it for you: http://weblogs.hcrhs.k12.nj.us/bees/

I also found this link in my bookmarks and know that I could get lost funneling through all the information it has to offer on blogs, and it seems to have a lot of information pertaining to your grade level as well:http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=9&new_display_count=10

Good luck with your class blog! I am excited to try to implement one somewhere along the way as well. I think the "authenticity" and "publicness" of it all, along with the opportunity to have a voice and reflect on answers makes blogging appealing to many.

Ann

Mr. Wells said...

I have a discussion board I use with my 11th grade AP English Language and Composition students that you can view here: http://www.mrwellsap.proboards58.com/index.cgi

Granted, the postings they write are obviously not the same as a 4th grader will be capable of. However, I can imagine a 4th grade class reading Harry Potter and posting reflection journals to build meaning together as a class (presuming, of course, that you follow a social-constructivist approach). The most important thing is modeling for students what is expected of them. I have found that most students rise to the expectations their teachers set for them. Also, once the blogging begins, you can highlight good examples and use those examples for future classes as models.